How do we help our clients?
Disputes are a fact of modern business life. At CBG Law our primary aim on your behalf is to avoid litigation if possible, but if not, to achieve a successful outcome through the courts or other tribunals.
If you are thinking of instructing a solicitor, you will need a legal advisor who is committed to resolving contentious issues as quickly, efficiently and cost effectively as possible. At CBG Law, that is our objective. We will give you clear, commercial advice, and explain all your options, including your prospects for success, how long your case will take and how much it is likely to cost.
Based in the heart of London’s West End, we are conveniently located for the High Court and many other London courts.
CBG Law is a member of PLA, Property Litigation Association.
We help you to use a range of methods for resolving disputes including:
- Litigation (High Court, County Court, Tribunal)
- Mediation (Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- Expert determination
We specialise in three main areas of dispute resolution:
- General Property/Real Estate
- Leasehold Enfranchisement
What are our areas of expertise?
- Commercial and residential property disputes
- Landlord and Tenant disputes
- Construction and building works disputes
- Contractual disputes
- Mediation/alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Negligent professionals
- Problems relating to shareholder disputes, director's duties and partnerships
- Lease extensions and freehold purchases (leasehold enfranchisement)
Funding options and likely costs
We will explain to you the funding options and the likely costs involved in managing your transaction at every stage. We understand how important it is for you to have complete transparency regarding the likely costs of the work we perform for you. Accordingly we go to great lengths to ensure that you are happy with our fee quotation and fully understand likely future costs. We will provide you with regular updates on the progress and likely costs of the dispute.
How we have helped our clients recently?
Here are examples of our areas of expertise and how we help our clients:
- CBG Law recently settled a multi-million pound High Court claim, acting for a plc property developer. The claim involved issues of breach of obligation to fit out and trade contained within an agreement for lease, and required expert evidence. The claim was settled on favourable terms for the developer.
- CBG Law were instructed by a commercial landlord who terminated the lease of a commercial tenant. The tenant sued the landlord in the High Court for £5m in damages claiming the lease was unlawfully forfeited by the landlord. CBG Law successfully defended the claim, and the court ordered that the landlord’s costs be paid by the tenant.
- A residential landlord with a long standing “sitting tenant” wished to relocate the tenant to another flat in the landlord’s building, so the landlord could undertake emergency repairs. This sensitive matter required a court application as the tenant did not wish to move. The landlord only wished to relocate the tenant as a last resort and did not wish for the matter to become overly contentious. CBG Law successfully obtained a court order on the basis that suitable alternative accommodation would be provided to the tenant.
Meet the Dispute Resolution Team
Chi is the head of our Dispute Resolution team and has over 20 years of experience acting for clients in property disputes, commercial disputes and leasehold enfranchisement matters. Chi’s clients include plc companies and individuals, and acts for both landlords and tenants in property disputes.
Nicole is a part of our Dispute Resolution team. Nicole has a vast experience in residential and commercial landlord disputes ranging from lease renewals under the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 to advising on easements and restrictive covenants.